Thread: If selvedge is so much better...

If selvedge is so much better...

Serious question here, not trying to instigate any problems.

If selvedge is so much better than non-selvedge denim and is worth the investment because it can last longer, why does it seem that peoples $200 jeans are always torn and have blown out crotches and are unwearable after 1-2 years? Is it because of the everyday wear that other jeans don't see? Or does it have to do with not being washed often? Or are people intentionally beat the shit out of their jeans?

TIA.

from what i gather its mostly due to not washing. it causes the material to break down faster. also, the daily wear from your activities. most non-selvedge denim gets cycled whereas denimheads will wear the same pair literally 24 hours a day(some sleep in theirs to get great fades)/7 days a week and do everything in them.

Wearing
    PBJ XX-007
    I don't recall ever hearing that selvedge denim "is worth the investment because it can last longer". I suppose sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but from what I understand, the reasons it is more expensive are:

1) The shuttle looms on which it is made are old, no longer built, and limited in terms of the amount of material they can produce.
    2) After decades of people not knowing or giving a shit about selvedge, they now give a shit
    3) The combination of 1) and 2) means savvy entrepreneurs take this once-forgotten but newly-fetishized yet limited supply product and use every tactic imaginable to pump up the mystique with tricked out fabric variations, exotic cotton sourcing, local cotton sourcing, "vegetarian dyes", "hand-dipped threads", "limited production lots", "hand sewn by midget eunuchs high on a mountain in Tibet", etc. etc. etc.

As to weather it is "worth the investment", well... it is if the $250 jeans make you $200 happier than the $50 jeans. That's a complicated calculation which prolly has very little to do with how long they'll hold up.

Wearing
    Kicking Mule Workshop/Gustin
    I hear the selvedge edge is made of ground up unicorn horn and when women see you with the cuffs rolled up, their pants drop.

Wearing
    Samurai X Take5 SAT5-11, Tellason John Graham Mellor, The Flat Head F310
    I'm not sure about it lasting longer but, also, the denim in a ?200 pair of jeans is usually heavier which means that it is more abrasive and therefore produces desired fading and distressing results better than lighter and cheaper denim. This can be achieved with or without the selvedge, i suppose, but the selvedge sure does look pretty! I guess it's more to do with the desire of having an authentically made pair of raws by a reputable denim company. I admit I'm a denim snob and would never even think of buying a pair of Naked and Famous (spit!).

Also, the point about the frequency of wear is a very good one. If you have several pairs that are worn on rotation, they pretty much last forever because they are made from tough material and never really get beat up.

Wearing
    "6p" thats my brand but i am not in business.
    a larger percentage of the people in the age group represented here, rather than older or younger are prone to blow outs.
    they are into cycling, body building, weight lifting, and sports that make for large heavy thigh muscles.
    any cloth that is worn under those conditions prone to blow outs.

for more information, go to website "styleforum'.
    see the list of tutorials. scroll down to "hole worn in trouser thigh"
    the same applies to jeans.
    Last edited by A TAILOR; 03-07-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Wearing
    PBJ XX-007
    errr... have you seen the fit pics people post? Nobody's thighs around here are exactly reminiscent of a Marvel Comic Hero's...

Wearing
    NF x Momo II
    I think that if you spend $200++ on a pair of jeans that you will wear every day for even a year until they fall apart that is a good deal. Considering the punishment that people subject their raws to less than $1 per wear for nice jeans is just fine in my books.
    "Oh baby I like it RAW, yeah baby I like it RAWWWW" - O.D.B.