Thread: To soak or not to soak

To soak or not to soak

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the world of Raw Denim and I have a question about soaking my jeans.

I recently purchased a pair Edwin ED-55 11.25oz unwashed jeans and my question is - should I soak them in the bath before I start to wear the hell out of them, or should I just put them straight on and wear them straight away.

I've seen some posts on several different websites and some say to soak and some say don't, so I'm unsure what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiobully View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the world of Raw Denim and I have a question about soaking my jeans.

I recently purchased a pair Edwin ED-55 11.25oz unwashed jeans and my question is - should I soak them in the bath before I start to wear the hell out of them, or should I just put them straight on and wear them straight away.

I've seen some posts on several different websites and some say to soak and some say don't, so I'm unsure what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    More specifically, these jeans:

http://shop.edwin-europe.com/collect...denim-unwashed

''To soak or not to soak'', that is the question!

First thing you'll have to find out is: Is your denim sanforized or unsanforized?

If your denim is unsanforized, it means that the denim fabric is not treated at the factory at all, it is still filled with a little starch and some other shit. you should have bought one size bigger and then soak them so they shrink to your size. These jeans are sometimes called shrink-to-fit. Unsanforized denim is made to be soaked before wearing! It will continue to shrink during the first few washes

If your denim is sanforized it means that the denim fabric was already treated and pre-shrunk at the factory. This is done to take care of most of the shrinking.

Remember this very well because answering ''to soak or not to soak'' depends on this question above!

Side note: These are not rules, this is just how it is. And because there are no rules, there will always be people that soak every single denim they buy, sanforized or not! They are convinced that soaking the denim will do the fabric good and will give it a longer live? I?m not an expert to argue with that. Some say that there is still a lot of starch and chemical shit even in sanforized denim, so that is also a reason why one could soak. But just know that MOST of the people in the denim scene soak unsanforized denim and the do not soak sanforized denim.
    Last edited by Somar; 02-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Check out my blog or my pinterest for updates about my fades.

Wearing now: Naked & Famous - Left Hand Twill // Railcar Fine Goods - X009

Yeah, I remember reading about sanforized or unsanforized denim and have searched but can't find any info on the internet about the specific model of jeans I have, so I have no idea if they are sanforized or unsanforized, which is rather frustrating.

You should try writing an e-mail to Edwin with your question and that link. Most jeans companies reply very fast...
    Check out my blog or my pinterest for updates about my fades.

Wearing now: Naked & Famous - Left Hand Twill // Railcar Fine Goods - X009

they are to 99% sanforized. so no real need to soak but it won't hurt the denim

Website
    http://www.thesoonest.com
    Wearing
    3sixteen St-120x
    it's most likely already sanforized

whether you want to soak them or not will depend on if you care about fading. Having the denim be stiffer from the beginning will help creases and what not set more. if you want that to happen, i'd just start wearing right away and skip the soak or wash. if you dont care of the stiffness and fading, then go ahead and soak in cold water.

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

I fired off an email to Edwin and hopefully they'll get back to me soon but going on what b_f and Young have said I might just leave soaking them as the jeans aren't particularly stiff (only 11.25oz) and I would kill for some good fades.