Thread: Leather care

Question Leather care

So my newish leather belt is looking a bit dry and I'd like to oil it. I know there's things like neatsfoot oil and mink oil so I'm wondering if anyone has a specific product to recommend or a particular type of oil they've had good results with.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Wearing
    Cult of Individuality, Rebel Straight
    I really like a product called Leather Honey. It can be bought off of amazon. A small bottle will last a long time. I have used it on wallets, belts, and my boots.

Keep in mind a little goes a long way! This product will darken leather as well, the more coats the darker it will become.

Website
    http://denimhunters.com/author/matt
    Wearing
    Eat Dust Bloodline Vest/Lee Cowboy Jacket, Japanese repo, Edwin Nashville's
    I am a big fan of the Red Wing products to take care of my leather stuff. I use manly the Mink Oil for everything. I also like to use the leather shampoo from time to time on my boots and belt.

The stuff seems to last forever and since it is from Red Wing you can guarantee it is of the best quality!

Wearing
    Nudie Jeans - Grim Tim Open Dry Selvage
    Quote Originally Posted by zeek1015 View Post
    I am a big fan of the Red Wing products to take care of my leather stuff. I use manly the Mink Oil for everything. I also like to use the leather shampoo from time to time on my boots and belt.

The stuff seems to last forever and since it is from Red Wing you can guarantee it is of the best quality!
    Zeek! Does the stuff darken or otherwise affect the colour of the leather in any way? I've got this pair of Harley D. boots with this vintage leather look thing, so the colour is not even and I don't want to ruin that.
    Last edited by Filthy Fresh; 01-24-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Wearing
    Nudie Jeans - Grim Tim Open Dry Selvage
    I think I already found my answer on the Red Wing Amsterdam website.

The leather on the 9111 boot is pretty much the same as my boots and is maintained with Mink Oil.

Website
    http://denimhunters.com/author/matt
    Wearing
    Eat Dust Bloodline Vest/Lee Cowboy Jacket, Japanese repo, Edwin Nashville's
    The Mink il will darken things down a little but it just seems to accentuate the patina on the leather, after a couple of days it ends up looking even better than it did. All leather is a little different tho, If you look here you can see what my boots looked like at the start then after about a year of wear oiling them every 3-4 months.

Before (from the website:

http://thefirstrun.wordpress.com/201...wing-877-boot/

After, my own pics.

http://thefirstrun.wordpress.com/201...ng-877-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Fresh View Post
    Zeek! Does the stuff darken or otherwise affect the colour of the leather in any way? I've got this pair of Harley D. boots with this vintage leather look thing, so the colour is not even and I don't want to ruin that.

here's what i use with my boots. just rub it in with your bare hands or a rag/paper towels once a month or so. it darkens a little when you apply it, but it reverts back to its normal color. i guess. its subtle, hard to tell, really. my leather is dark and frequently dirty. this pair of boots is about a year and a half old. here's a before/after:

wesco dirty by the photographic minority, on Flickr

wesco clean by the photographic minority, on Flickr