Things to consider when having a picture of yourself taken for waywt purpose:
1. Pick your nicest clothes. People don't want to see you in your dirty pajamas
2. Wear your choice of clothes comfortably. People aren't impressed by your awkwardness mainly because you force yourself into something that doesn't fit for you.
3. Pick clothes that flatter your body not otherwise. Huge people shouldn't wear overly tight clothes, skinny people shouldn't force to wear overly baggy clothes. Choose clothes that fit you.
4. Pick clothes that fit your style. Being fashionable is a good thing, but having good taste and style overshadows it.
5. Pose comfortably. Awkward pose gives people awkward feeling. We don't want our viewer to be awkward by looking at our awkward pose. Awkward pose gives train of negative comments.
6. Choose nice places for taking photos. Viewers don't want to see your dirty bedroom. A nice and fitting surrounding will boost your photos exponentially.
7. Consider buying new cameras. We already know your clothes worth some grand but those shitty blackberry photos doesn't do your clothes justice.
8. Ask people to take photos of you. Or use a tripod. Okay, now you got your new camera, but you still point that camera to the mirror. That doesn't do any good both to your camera and fits. Mirror reflected waywt photos look crap in general.
9. Don't take negative comments negatively. Once you post your photos on the internet, all trolls breaks loose, always prepare for the worst of the comments.
10. Make some effort. People always respects efforts in general. Don't be lazy, think of something to boost your aesthetics and quality of your photos.
edit: extras - Wear your clothes, don't let your clothes wear you