Cone Mills started producing denim in 1895 in Greensboro, North Carolina. The company started supplying denim for Levi’s jeans in 1910 and become the exclusive supplier for the Levi’s 501 in 1922.
Cone Mills is still one of the world’s biggest denim manufacturers.
Brothers Moses and Caesar Cone started Cone Mills with Proximity Cotton Mill in Greensboro, North Carolina, originally producing flannel and denim for work clothes.
Throughout the twentieth century, the company continued to grow and diversify, adding upholstery cloth, felt, gingham, and other fabrics to their list of goods.
Cone Mills purchased the Union Bleachery in 1952, acquiring the first license for “Sanforizing” in the United States. Operating twelve plants, they are currently the largest manufacturer of denim in the world.
One of the first Cone Mills plants: