Never ones to shy away from a little bit of inspiration in the denim market, Naked and Famous have just released a handy guide to their Spring/Summer 2013 releases.
This list of 18 new fabrics is a comprehensive introduction to all that Brandon Svarc and his team have been up to in the last few months. The list corresponds to the below image.
First Row (Left to Right)
1) Selvedge Chambray – The first new fabric is a 10oz selvedge blue chambray fabric. This will be a great weight and texture for when the actual Spring weather emerges from behind its current cloud. This is actually a re-release of a fabric from 2.5 years back when it was released in SkinnyGuy and SlimGuy, now it’s making its debut in WeirdGuy as well.
2) Left/Cloud Camo – The second new fabric (first properly new) is a soft Japanese twill fabric printed on both sides. The outside is a leaf camo print with an interior brown clouds print. This will be available only in WeirdGuy, and exclusive to Barneys.
3) Vintage Nudes – This is just a normal plain 13.5 oz indigo denim , but with 9 repeating images from a 1940 British porn printed on the insides. Brandon advises flipping up the cuff to show it off. An added bonus: Naked and Famous did 4 different leather patches printed with different nudes that are randomly applied to the jeans. WeirdGuy only.
4) SUVIN ELS selvedge – This fabric is special and rich because of the unique cotton yarns used. ELS stands for Extra Long Staple cotton yarns, the type of yarns normally used in luxury high thread count linens. SUVIN is a mix of sea island and St-Vincent cotton and rivals even the longest staple Egyptian cotton yarn. This is another limited edition production, and will never be made again. In contrast to the ultra soft fabric, it comes with a thick American Buffalo leather patch. WeirdGuy only.
5) Forest Green Selvedge – This 14 oz denim is a great saturated green color with cream color selvedge edges. The rope dyed warp yarns means this denim will also fade incredibly. Naked and Famous tried this fabric a few years ago and I’ve already seen some killer fades. WeirdGuy only.
Second Row (Left to Right)
6) Pale Blue Stretch – This is a vintage 1970′s color stretch denim. The bleached out color on a raw denim is a very unique look, and available in SkinnyGuy only.
7) Rich Blue Stretch – Inspired by 1960′s denim, this is a rich bold royal blue stretch denim. The jean is super comfortable, coming in at a great color and weight for Spring, again available in only the SkinnyGuy fit.
8) Stretch Selvedge – This denim brings you the best of 2 worlds. On one hand, you get a shuttle loomed raw selvedge denim (which is great for fading), while on the other hand you get a stretchy and comfortable denim that is easy to wear for everyone. It’s the perfect entryway into a long relationship with raw denim. The 12oz indigo rope dyed denim is vailable in WeirdGuy and in our brand new fit SuperSkinnyGuy! (SuperSkinnyGuy is a shorter and more narrow version of the SkinnyGuy).
9) Blue Weft Selvedge – The 13 oz blue weft selvedge is one of Brandon’s favorite new styles. It’s a new take on the Red Weft Selvedge, featuring a dark indigo warp with a royal blue weft which is great for cuffing or rolling. The jean also features a blue pull-up leather patch that also fades beautifully and is available in WeirdGuy and SlimGuy fits.
10) Red Weft Selvedge – This is a super popular Naked and Famous style which was previously made in limited edition and is now back due in large part to popular demand. The 12.5 oz selvedge denim consists of an indigo warp and red weft, with a fullgrain red leather patch. It’s available in only the WeirdGuy fit.
11) N&F X KA – A collaboration between Naked & Famous Denim + Kamikaze Attack, this was a Barneys exclusive last season and is now available at fine retailers worldwide. The object of their collaboration is a 14oz indigo/indigo selvedge denim with great details like deer-skin leather patch (complete with a nude Japanese punk rocker girl licking a guitar between her breasts) hidden back pocket rivets, chain-stitched hems, custom death beetle pocket bags and half-lined back pockets. Made in Kojima, Japan, this jean is only available in the SkinnyGuy fit with a unique 37in inseam.
Third Row (Left to Right)
12) Thermochromic Selvedge – These jeans change colors with heat. There’s always going to be one weird release in a Naked and Famous collection, and here it is. A molecule inside the dye reacts to heat and changes colors based on the temperature range. Anyone who was worried about sweating more in certain areas than others: don’t be alarmed, the jeans change colors all over and not just in (as they elegantly put it) your “happy areas”. The jean also features red selvedge edges and a blue pull-up leather patch. Available in only the WeirdGuy fit.
13) Royalcast Selvedge – This 12.5oz broken twill royalcast selvedge denim comes in an outstanding royal blue color which makes this a perfect dark-indigo alternative jean. The touch is soft but not silky and these jeans will fade very well with typical wear and wash. This is the newer version of our previous greencast selvedge denim, and is available in SkinnyGuy, WeirdGuy and SlimGuy fits.
14) Vintage Dungaree Denim – A 9.75oz lightweight selvedge denim, this dungaree comes with a workwear blue warp and mixed grey weft inside. This fabric reminds Brandon of his grandfathers old painter dungarees, and has been made available in SkinnyGuy, WeirdGuy and SlimGuy fits.
15) Rainbow Fade Selvedge – So, I lied a little when I said there was going to be one strange release, here’s a second. Just like the redcore jeans faded to red, these amazing jeans will fade to multicolor rainbow fades. Wow! This is another Barneys exclusive, available in only the WeirdGuy fit.
16) Lightweight Selvedge – Just as it sounds, this jean is a 10oz lightweight rope-dyed indigo selvedge denim. It has the same crisp and rigid hand of a heavier denim but in a much lighter weight. Great for maintaining your raw denim look once the temperatures rise or for anyone who wants the look of raw but with more comfort and ease of wear. This jean has been made available in SkinnyGuy, WeirdGuy and SlimGuy fits.
There are a couple other new styles, including the new fit SuperSkinnyGuy in Black Power-Stretch and in Left Hand Twill Selvedge which are not featured in the photo above, but will be emerging in retailers soon. The best of luck digging through to find your favorite, and happy shopping.