Heavyweight Denim Championship Round 2 (HWDC2)
This is a guest post by our forum user, Megatron1505, who is the co-organizer of the denim competition, Heavyweight Denim Championship 2 (HWDC2).
At the beginning of January 2011 we began the first Heavyweight Denim Championship (HWDC), a denim competition like no other. The basic premise of the competition is that it runs for 24 months, is open to any and all denim that weighs 17 Oz. or above, and has been worn for less than 30 days.
It proved to be extremely popular; selling tee shirts and stickers, and spawned some of the most beautifully worn heavyweight denim that we have ever seen.
The first competition ran exclusively on Superfuture, began with 76 competitors, and included prizes provided by Self Edge and a Championship Belt hand made by Obbigood. Unfortunately, as all good things must come to an end, the competition is due to finish at the end of February 2013.
Although the original HWDC has yet to wrap up, it’s been a great success and documented well on the dedicated Superfuture forum thread (currently at 146 pages, 4,350 replies, and thousands of views!). In fact, it’s been so popular that every month several people ask me whether there will be a round 2 of the HWDC. Recently, I answered that question.
The second round of the HWDC, imaginatively entitled “HWDC2“, will begin on April 1st, 2013 (that’s right, April fools day), and will again run for 24 months. It will be open to any and all heavyweight denim over 17 oz. that has been worn for less than 30 days. That, however, is where the similarities end.
For round 2, my partner in crime, Beatle, and I recently decided that we wanted to make this the biggest and best denim competition that the world had ever seen. We wanted more competitors, we wanted challenges, we wanted to take the competition multi-forum, and we wanted to make it a social event for all involved.
Now, I cannot as yet reveal all that we have planned as there is still plenty of work going on, but here are a few details that I can tell you:
- This time we have two categories – Heavyweight (17 Oz. to 20 Oz.); and Super Heavyweight (21 Oz. and upwards)
- We have a competition-exclusive jean being made by Heavyweight Denim Specialists, Iron Heart. This jean is called the “Mega Beatle Buster“, and is the classic Beatle Buster slim cut made from Iron Heart‘s Super Heavy 25 Oz. denim; with some added features just for the competition. Iron Heart would normally retail this jean at $495.00, but for the competition it will be $425.00. It can be secured on pre-order only by a $100.00 deposit paid to Iron Heart. This is the first time that Iron Heart has made, what is effectively, a “made to order” jean.
- We have sponsors from all over the world, such as:
- Once again we have a Championship belt, again being hand made by the artisans at our good friends Obbigood Label.
- We are in discussions with more brands, retailers and organisations to provide our competitors with the most incredible denim competition experience imaginable. Stay tuned for developments!
- We will be running themes throughout the competition, these will take the form of mini tasks or challenges to be completed either in or with your denim. And that is all that I’m saying about that for now.
- Please note too that our sponsors and friends are not making money from this contest; neither are myself and Beatle (in fact it actually costs us money to do this).
Though there is so much more to tell and that I wish I could announce, we sadly still have many details to iron out. Currently our schedule is as follows:
- December 24th – Pre-Order for the Mega Beatle Busters ends.
- December 26th – Announcement of most (if not all) of the things we have planned.
- December 31st – Competition Registration begins across the forums.
- Mid-March – We have the “Gosport Chain Stitch Massacre” at Iron Heart UK headquarters; any and all are welcome, free beer provided.
- April 1st – Competition begins!
Hopefully some of you guys reading this will be interested in competing. If you have any questions I am always available through Superfuture, the Iron Heart forum, Darahkubiru, Indigo Roots, and of course, the Rawr Denim Forum.
Hope to see you in the competition!