Following up with more news on The Flat Head since on our Fade Friday post about the Flat Head’s 6002W jacket, we’re excited to announce Naked & Famous’ latest collaboration jean with another legendary Japanese denim brand, The Flat Head. You can see some of Naked and Famous’ past collaborations have been with Blue in Green, Loveless, Momotaro, Big John, Tenue De Nîmes and Oni.
Brief history of the brand (Source: Aero Leather Clothing)
The Flat Head was established in 1996 by Masayoshi Kobayashi. Kobayashi took vintage denim from the 1920′s through to the 1960′s and deconstructed it to analyze the precise dyeing and stitching techniques. He then set out to produce classic styled clothing made in the same manner as the original garments. As part of this process, he uses only specially selected high quality material and employs highly skilled Japanese craftsmen.
The Flat Head‘s selvedge denim is woven on old-style shuttle looms that can make only 50 meters of denim per day, however approximately 3 meters of fabric is required to make each pair of jeans, this is a labour of love.
Kobayashi-san says that “At the time of purchase the product is only half complete, it is only fully complete once the garment has melded itself to the unique shape of the individual.”
- Name: FHXNFXTY – The Flat Head x Naked & Famous x Tate + Yoko (In case you don’t know how to decipher the former. The brands names are converted into acronyms and separated by X’s)
- Weight: 14.5 oz. unsanforized denim
- Denim: The Flat Head’s 3XXX denim. Part of the Frontier series, the 3XXX is known for its intense vertical fading.
- Fit: Weird Guy cut: slim top block, medium rise, slim leg and slight taper.
- Price: $285.00 CDN
- Additional details:
- These jeans were made by The Flat Head using all Flat Head construction, hardware and fabric.
- The pockets for the first time feature stitching. It’s hard to tell initially because they’re tone-on-tone/hidden.
- Triple name vegetable tanned natural leather embossed patch with a custom design.
- Flat Head hardware: iron donut button, hidden iron (copper plated) rivets reinforcing backpockets, copper rivets elsewhere.
- Only 50 pairs were made!!! Available for pre-order now. It ships on January 4th. Complementary chain-stich hemming if requested, at no charge.
Photos (Source: Tate + Yoko):